Film Friday! Fork Over Knives (2011)


I am obsessed with films and through this media I discovered an awful lot about the world that made me feel extremely unhappy. In one week I watched at least 15 documentaries related to diet and animal rights. My new found knowledge fuelled my desire to make changes to my life and I haven’t looked back.

In my opening post I talked about my health. I have suffered with M.E for over half my life; I have tried many drugs & therapies to find a way to help my illness, but nothing has worked.

I recently discovered one film in particular that has changed my life for the better and has  taken me on a long journey to help improve my health.

‘Forks Over Knives’ (2011) is a documentary about the importance of nutrition and the power it can have over our bodies, good or bad. Dr Colin Campbell and Dr Caldwell Esselstyn have devoted their lives to nutrition, discussing how animal based proteins can cause many of the conditions we fear. Campbell, who is known for ‘The China Study’, suggests that many of the diseases we fear like heart disease, diabetes, obesity and cancer are linked to a high processed western diet.

The film also follows individuals that have bad health who are put on a plant-based diet to see if they can reverse the conditions that affect them. The journey the people take is fascinating and the film gives you an insight into the power of vegetables.

Since watching this film I have adopted a more plant-based diet, not relying on processed food, caffeine, preservatives and sugar. My sugar intake, which was huge a few months ago, has been the hardest to part(I will admit to eating most of those biscuits I made on ‘Treat Thursday’, whoops). I am a sucker for gelatine free sweets and cakes, but I am trying to swap these with whole food treats. I cheat like everyone does, I’m human and living a complete whole foods diet is hard when you have eaten a lot of naughty food since birth.

I would say 80% of my food is now organic, the remaining 20% is food I cannot get hold of or treats that I have every now and then. Organic food can be expensive, but supermarkets now offer organic food at reasonable prices. Sometimes you will get less for your money, but luckily supermarkets always have offers or reduced items.

I would recommend ‘Forks Over Knives’ to anyone interested in nutrition and the benefits of a vegan diets. Thank you for reading, please feel free to comment below.